Monday, January 8, 2018

Papertrey Ink Traveler's Journal: Layout Sketches



It's Traveler's Journal day over on the Papertrey Ink blog! This month's feature is all about using sketches for page layouts. 



This month, Heather Nichols has put together a whole selection of sketches specifically designed for Papertrey's traveler's journals. As primarily a vertical A2 cardmaker, I sometimes find square pages and horizontal spreads challenging, so I really appreciate having these sketches as a starting point!


For my first spread, I used this sketch:




I recently did a little photo shoot with my daughter and Westley, the horse she is hoping to lease this year. I knew this photo would be perfect for this particular sketch. Such a simple spread that lets the photo really stand out!



The left-hand journaling was done with a vintage typewriter. The polka-dot patterned paper is from the Soft Stone Bitty Big paper collection.




For the title, I used a wavy banner diecut (from Songbirds) to anchor the Headline Alphabet letter die-cuts. 



The next spread uses this sketch:


The 4-photo layout here was perfect for some of the additional photos. 



On the left, I placed the photos onto a Smokey Shadow layer for contrast, then used a label die-cut from Traveler's Journal: Accessories for some info about Westley. 



I used the right half of the spread for Westley's show name: Always As You Wish. The stamped words were done with Wet Paint, and I cut the word "wish" out of a Big Basics: Wish Big die-cut. 

I'm tickled to death with Westley's name and show name, and couldn't resist a Princess Bride quote on the banner. (Except I got it wrong -- I think it should be "My Westley will always come for me." An easy fix, though!) 



Stamps: Wet Paint

Ink: Smokey Shadow

Paper: Soft Stone, Kraft, and Smokey Shadow card stock; 
Soft Stone Bitty Big patterned paper

Dies: Headline Alphabet, Songbirds, Big Basics: Wish Big, 
Traveler’s Journal: Accessories, Traveler’s Journal: Outer Cover

Other: black enamel dots, jute string, vintage typewriter



For more Traveler's Journal inspiration, be sure to visit today's post on the Papertrey Ink blog.

Thanks for visiting!



No comments: